/Works after 1934 Previous Page
Description/Chang Jung Girls School was one of the earliest girls-only educational institutions. It was also known as Sin-lau Girls School because the school was located inside the Sin-lau hospital back when it was founded in 1887. Chen Cheng-po had access to the campus and completed several series there because his classmate Liao Chi-chun taught there. This work was selected for the 4th Taiwan Viceroy Art Exhibition. The artist frames the subject of the picture with two nearby trees and effectively communicates the field of depth with the arc of the path. At the end of the trail, verdant trees obscure a Western-style building with arch gates and a chimney above its red tiled roof. The dense and healthy lawn and thriving vegetation in the courtyard glitter under the sun. A mother and daughter walking toward the classroom in the back bring warmth to the serene campus.
lawn， arched verandah， streetlamp， staffage， campus， Christian school， Taiwan Viceroy Art Exhibition， Chang Jung Girls School， Tainan， Sin-Lau
Related Collections/No related collections.
- Yuchun Lin, Oil‧Passion‧Chen Cheng-Po (Taipei City: Lion Art Publishing, 1998), 130-133.
- Hsiuhsiung Wang, Chang Jung Girls School Campus by Chen Cheng-Po (Taipei City : Artist Publishing, 2012), 59.
- Miaojuan Zhang, “Sin-Lau Girls School.” Encyclopedia of Taiwan, Ministry of Culture
View of Sin-Lau Girls School 1941
Materials & Techniques：Oil on canvas
Location:Sin-Lau (now on the campus of Tainan Theological College and Seminar. No. 117, Section 1, Dongmen Rd.,Tainan City, Taiwan)